Saturday, June 04, 2005

Mellanrummet and in defense of immersionism

- I have now experienced Mellanrummet and it was good. Really good. I will get into the plot and "point" of the larp later as it will be played one more time and I do not want to risk ruin the experience for someone else. Either way the best part of this larp was how our group prepared our characters and how it played out. They knew each other intimately and that made the process of building them and their background challenging. Every step of the preparation had to be done in cooperation with the other players. As other people may end up playing the same group I do not want to go into more detail right now but I can tell you that we ended upp playing the full session in dressing gowns!

- I have made several replies to Vincent Baker's rant about immersion. I do not agree with him at all and most of all I find the "You Have Been Doing It Wrong All The Time And I Know The Only True Way" tone of it to be rather disturbing. Thinking you have really good idéas is one thing, beliving them to be a universal truth is another. If you want to read something good written by Vincent, to get rid of the sour taste and get a more balanced view of his idéas, take a look at this post I made some time ago.

4 Comments:

Blogger Per said...

Hi Jonas,

I'm the dude discussing with you on Vincent's blog, and I am Danish, not Swedish, albeit living in the UK.
Nice to meet you :)

1:12 PM  
Blogger Jonas Barkå said...

Nice talking to you to!

Even if we will probably never agree completely, I 'm at least forced to examine *why* I feel like I do. Before this I never had a clear picture of exactly why rules hinder immersion, I only knew it did. Now I got it pretty much sorted out for myself.

Which games do you play?

3:24 PM  
Blogger Per said...

Last game I played was Dogs in the Vineyard. I play Shadow of Yesterday via IRC and am planning to play Sorcerer in some way or other soon.

Before I discovered The Forge I played all the "normal" stuff, but I kind of lost interest in RPGs.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Jonas Barkå said...

If you don't want to try larping, I would at least recommend playing one or two Nordic style free form scenarios. If you belive you can handle the Swedish language good enough you should get "Från Atlantis till blekinge", by ASF. These games are about as far from traditional RPGs as The Forge, but in a completely different way.

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home