Friday, May 06, 2005

Playing by the rules

Something I often hear about board games is "You shouldn't try beating the game and finding the one optimal strategy because it will ruin the fun for everyone." This may be true for RPGs and even tabletop war games, as the rules are not definite by design. In the case of board games it's pure bullshit.

The point in a game like this is that you are playing by a given set of rules. These rules should be complete and leave nothing to interpretation (not always the case). Within these rules you try to outwit your opponents by any means possible, leading to winning the game.

If this makes the game less fun there is something wrong with it. Maybe it needs to be fixed with a house rule to work in your group but expecting the players to be "nice" and "not overuse" an aspect of the game is really weird in my eyes.

I play by the rules and I expect my opponents to do the same.

6 Comments:

Anonymous jonas karlsson said...

Amen! When you talk about board games this really should be a no-brainer, but as you say it's harder when you're discussing roleplaying games. A game immediately springs to mind: Capes. One really cool thing about Capes is the author's insistence that you can't abuse the rules, you can only use them in more or less successful ways. They are created to encourage people to find winning tactics and to use them until someone finds a way to counter the tactic. That is really cool. Other games can work this way, if the group has agreed that it's an ok way to use the game.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Sven Holmström said...

Capes is a really scary mother of a game. I donät know if I ever would dare to play it.

1:22 AM  
Blogger Jonas Barkå said...

Capes is fun but when playing it I get a slight feeling that it falls short on being a good roleplaying game (me prefering a more freeform way to play) and at the same time is rather clumsy if considered a board game. At the same time I admire it if not only for the intent to have totally defined rules.

Once in a while, yes. As the new way to design games, no.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Jonas Landén said...

This has nothing to do with the article itself but rather the fact that you are really blogging alot. I'm lacking an article about Monopoly though, as i know it's your absolute favourite boardgame all categories. Carry on. :-)

10:37 PM  
Blogger Sven Holmström said...

You said the m-word!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Sven Holmström said...

You better update your blog soon, or I will do a good old TB-ambush.

Write about werewolf or whatever. BTW I scrapped the text about GNS, becuase it sucked and wasn'n needed by the world. But I might send it to you, cause it was quite funny.

laala

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home